Surrey college pupil dies of bacterial an infection with one other in hospital | UK information

A six-year-old pupil is reported to have died and one other was being cared for in hospital after an outbreak of an invasive micro organism at a main college in Surrey.

The BBC reported the pupils at Ashford Church of England main college had been believed to be in the identical 12 months group, with the second youngster recovering in hospital.

The broadcaster cited the UK Well being Safety Company (UKHSA) as saying the youngsters had caught the invasive group A streptococcal an infection (iGAS), often known as Strep A, which causes scarlet fever.

Pupils and college workers had been prescribed antibiotics.

Ruth Hutchinson, the Surrey county council director of public well being, was quoted as saying: “We’re deeply saddened by the demise of a pupil at Ashford Church of England college and we provide our honest condolences to their household, associates and the entire college group, who’re in our ideas.”

Dr Claire Winslade, UKHSA south-east well being safety guide, reportedly stated: “Data has been shared with dad and mom in regards to the indicators and signs of iGAS, which embrace excessive fever with extreme muscle aches, ache in a single space of the physique and unexplained vomiting or diarrhoea.”

These with the above signs ought to name 111 instantly.